Synergy Discussion 11-8-23
Forged & Refined
Spend a few minutes talking about goals for Forged & Refined. Collect points from students who haven’t given them to you. Use this smaller group time to connect with all of your students and also ask students who AREN’T signed up how they are doing.
Ask everybody to share about their favorite gift they ever gave or received.
In today’s lesson we see the early church was interdependent. Believers from Asia and Greece sought to minister to the Jewish church in Jerusalem. Some of these believers did not have a lot of resources but they still gave out of love and because of the power of the resurrection. It is important that we show generosity and give to others in the body of Christ. We also need to be gracious receivers of gifts and be grateful.
Leaders/Student Leaders – Share about WHY we just packed shoeboxes earlier tonight. Don’t just stay on the surface, dig deep into why that is important.
- Examples: We are blessed with so much and should want to help others. There are people in need all over the world. Even the simple gift of a box filled with toys and other supplies can help a kid have a great Christmas.
#1 – Read 1 Corinthians 16:1-4 and discuss…
- What observations do you have about these verses? What is happening? (Sample Answer: Paul is reminding the believers to take a collection (offering) at their worship services.)
- Who is Paul talking to? (Answer: Believers in the church at Corinth)
- Who are they sending the collection to? (Answer: the saints in Jerusalem, see verses 1 & 3)
#2 – Read 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 and discuss…
- When we give to others, what should be our attitude? Why? (Answer: We should be cheerful because…)
#3 – Interact with this statement (it’s from Pastor Brant’s sermon and Jack D. will read it before we split into our groups: “Interdependence of believers is the willingness to volunteer and meet the spiritual and physical needs of others while allowing others to meet your needs, too.”
- We’ve already talked about why we should be willing to GIVE. Now let’s discuss why we should be willing to RECEIVE when somebody shares with us.
Prayer - Ask for prayer requests in your group and pray together before we finish.